2016 Holiday Season Market Scan
In the November to December 2016 holiday shopping period, First Annapolis monitored retail sales and promotional activity with a focus on gift cards. Our findings are summarized in a 25 page Holiday Market Scan that we are providing to interested parties on a complimentary basis upon request.
Several shopping related highlights of the report include:
- The new functionality of Amazon’s mobile application which provides notifications to consumers that certain deals are about to start;
- The rise of mobile shopping on Thanksgiving Day;
- Continued innovation around gifting with the use of technology; and
- The spread of last minute, holiday promotional partnerships.
Some of the more interesting payment related themes in the report include:
- The launch of innovative gift cards (e.g. Uber and Blackhawk’s Five-Back Visa);
- The spread of holiday promotions on mobile wallets;
- The growth of reward offer amounts; and
- An expansion in the number of gift card exchanges and technology / gift card trade-in programs.
It is not a surprise that the growth of mobile is one of the more significant trends as shown on Figure 1.
Figure 1: Black Friday Mobile Sales as a Percent of Total e-Commerce
For more information or to request the full Holiday Market Scan report, please contact Aaron Mercurio, Manager, email@example.com; or Peter Lischick, Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org. Both specialize in Credit Card Issuing.
To read the rest of this article, please subscribe to